advertisement advertisement
St. John's IceCaps Powered By Rogers
Check out the St. John's IceCaps' YouTube Channel Stay up to date with the St. John's IceCaps via RSS Like the St. John's IceCaps on Facebook follow us:

Sharks stun IceCaps with late comeback Posted by IceCaps on

Game Summary | Box Score

IMG_0337 web

Worcester scores twice in final minutes to defeat St. John’s 3-2

ST. JOHN’S, NL – The St. John’s IceCaps suffered a heartbreaking 3-2 loss to the Worcester Sharks Tuesday night at Mile One Centre.

Worcester scored two goals in the final 3:18 of the third period to hand St. John’s its first home loss since Jan. 12. Daniil Tarasov scored two goals, including the game-winner with 1:31 to go in regulation, as the Sharks snapped a three-game losing skid. Bracken Kearns notched a goal and two assists while Tim Kennedy registered three helpers. Harri Sateri made 30 saves for the win.

Jason Jaffray potted both goals for St. John’s – one shorthanded and one on the power play – to provide the IceCaps’ only offence. Eddie Pasquale played a strong game for the home side, stopping 29 shots.

Worcester opened the scoring early after some heavy pressure in the IceCaps zone. Leading scorer Kennedy got the puck to Tarasov near the top of the left faceoff circle, and the Sharks’ winger spun and fired a shot on goal that eluded Pasquale to give the visitors a 1-0 lead.

Midway through the frame the IceCaps tied things up while down a man after Ryan Schnell took a roughing minor. Max Macenauer forced the play at the IceCaps blueline and caused a turnover, sending Jaffray in alone on a shorthanded breakaway. Jaffray made a nice move to the forehand and beat Sateri, tying the game at one.

After a scoreless second period, Jaffray notched his second of the game – this time on a power play – to put the IceCaps up 2-1. Derek Meech sent a nice stretch pass to Ray Sawada on the left wing, and the big winger sent a pass towards the middle to a streaking Jaffray, who reached out and tipped the pass over Sateri’s shoulder at the 6:31 mark.

Worcester pressed hard in the latter stages of the third and ended up tying the score with 3:18 left in regulation. After a Macenauer tripping call, Kearns took a pass from Kennedy at the side of the goal and banked the puck off a prone Travis Ramsey for the game’s tying goal.

The Sharks completed the comeback at 18:29 of the third on Tarasov’s second of the game. Worcester forced a turnover deep in IceCaps territory and the puck came to Kennedy at the right circle. Kennedy turned and fired a shot that was tipped by Tarasov, who was stationed to Pasquale’s left. The deflection was enough to guide the puck into the back of the net and give Worcester a big two points.

The loss moves the IceCaps three points behind the Sharks, who temporarily jumped to seventh place with the win.

The two teams square off again Wednesday night at Mile One Centre beginning at 7:30 p.m. NT. Catch all the action with broadcaster Brian Rogers at and on 930 AM This Is Newfoundland Labrador, or watch online at Pregame show hits the airwaves at 7:00 p.m.

F Eric O’Dell saw his two-game goal scoring streak and three-game point streak come to an end… F Jason Jaffray led the IceCaps with seven shots on goal… St. John’s went 1-for-5 on the power play. Worcester scored once on three opportunities with the man advantage… G Eddie Pasquale started his 11th straight game between the pipes… The IceCaps sold out their 61st consecutive home game.

Photos (Jeff Parsons)

  • img_0246
  • img_0261
  • img_0262
  • img_0297
  • img_0337-web
  • img_0532
  • img_0616
  • img_0626
  • img_0651
  • img_0694
  • img_0700
  • img_0752
  • img_0963
  • img_0991-web
  • img_1026
  • img_0002
  • img_0003
  • img_0005
  • img_0006
  • img_0071
  • img_0217

Facebook Add a Comment