advertisement advertisement
St. John's IceCaps Powered By Rogers
Check out the St. John's IceCaps' YouTube Channel Stay up to date with the St. John's IceCaps via RSS Like the St. John's IceCaps on Facebook follow us:

Monarchs sneak past IceCaps in overtime Posted by IceCaps on

Game Summary | Box Score

St. John’s comeback falls just short for second straight night

ST. JOHN’S, NL – The Manchester Monarchs defeated the St. John’s IceCaps 3-2 for the second consecutive night Saturday at Mile One Centre.

Slava Voynov potted the winner in overtime, capitalizing on a St. John’s turnover, as Manchester leaves St. John’s with four points, handing the IceCaps their fifth and sixth straight home losses.

St. John’s got its offence from Carl Klingberg, who scored a pair of goals to snap a personal 15-game scoring drought. Mark Dekanich provided a solid effort between the pipes, stopping 29 shots and making key saves to allow his team to escape with a single point.

Peter Mannino, who began last season with the IceCaps, made 25 saves for the Monarchs in his return to Mile One Centre.

Jordan Weal got the Monarchs on the board early at the 3:42 mark of the opening frame. Jordan Nolan forced the play in the neutral zone and burst in on the left side on a two-on-one. Nolan’s attemped cross-ice pass was broken up nicely by Dean Arsene but the puck came to the trailing Weal, who was wide open and able to fire home the game’s opening goal.

Klingberg evened the score with 8:23 to go in the middle frame. Ivan Telegin sent a pass to Klingberg near the Monarchs blueline that was initially broken up by a Manchester defender but Klingberg stuck with it and poked it through, giving himself a breakaway. The sophomore Swede made no mistake in snapping home his sixth of the season to tie the game at one.

After a back-and-forth but scoreless second period, the Monarchs retook the lead early in the third. Linden Vey and Tanner Pearson headed towards the net on a rush when an IceCaps defender stumbled, allowing Vey to step around the fallen player and deliver a perfect pass to Pearson on the makeshift two-on-one, giving Manchester a 2-1 advantage.

St. John’s tied it once again on a goal by Klingberg, his second of the night. Just after a Monarchs penalty expired, Paul Postma fired a shot from the point that didn’t get through, but Klingberg was right there to pot the loose puck to knot the score at two apiece with 10:33 to go in regulation time and send the game to overtime.

In the extra frame, it was Manchester who prevailed. David Meckler picked up the puck after a St. John’s miscue, and made a good pass across to Voynov, who buried his seventh to end the game.

Once again, the IceCaps were shut out on the power play, going 0-for-3. Manchester went 0-for-2 with the man advantage.

St. John’s is back in action next Friday and Saturday when they welcome the Toronto Marlies to Mile One Centre for two games.

Catch all the action with broadcaster Brian Rogers at and on 930AM This Is Newfoundland Labrador, or watch online at Next Friday’s contest can also be seen like on Rogers TV. Puck drop is set for 7:30 p.m. with the pregame show getting underway at 7:00 (all times Newfoundland).

St. John’s has lost six straight home games, with their last win coming back on Nov. 25 in a 6-0 victory over the Providence Bruins… D Ben Chiarot has recorded an assist in two straight games and has a point in four of his last five… The IceCaps fell to 5-7-0-1 in Saturday games and 5-10-0-0 in the second of back-to-back contests… The loss was just the IceCaps first defeat in overtime this season…Despite F Carl Klingberg’s 15-game goalless drought, the winger has seven goals on the season, just one off the team lead held by F Spencer Machacek, D Zach Redmond and F Max Macenauer.

Photos (Jeff Parsons)

  • img_4543
  • img_4660
  • img_4707
  • img_4762
  • img_4776
  • img_4873
  • img_4968
  • img_5024
  • img_5148
  • img_5163
  • img_5178
  • img_5268
  • img_5297
  • img_5458
  • img_7557
  • img_7607

Facebook Add a Comment