advertisement advertisement
St. John's IceCaps Powered By Rogers
Check out the St. John's IceCaps' YouTube Channel Stay up to date with the St. John's IceCaps via RSS Like the St. John's IceCaps on Facebook follow us:

IceCaps stifled by Sharks Posted by IceCaps on

Game Summary | Box Score

Feb 6 web

St. John’s swept by Worcester after 4-0 defeat in feisty contest

ST. JOHN’S, NL – The Worcester Sharks blanked the St. John’s IceCaps 4-0 Wednesday night to sweep the two-game series at Mile One Centre.

John McCarthy scored twice and Harri Sateri stopped 21 shots for the shutout, while Tim Kennedy picked up a pair of helpers. Daniil Tarasov scored the game-winner for the second straight night with his second period tally.

For St. John’s, Eddie Pasquale stopped 30 shots while Kael Mouillierat and Eric O’Dell led the way with four shots each.

The two teams squared off for five fights and combined for 125 penalty minutes, including three scraps in the opening 20 minutes. Hunter Tremblay and Mikael Tam dropped the gloves just four seconds after the opening puck drop, followed by a bout between Ray Sawada and Bracken Kearns 1:16 in. Later in the frame Ryan Schnell and Jimmy Bonneau engaged in a spirited tilt, and the teams headed to the dressing room in a scoreless tie.

After a scoreless first 10 minutes of the second period, the Sharks got on the board on Tarasov’s third goal of the series. Kennedy sent a perfect pass from behind the IceCaps net out front to Tarasov, who made no mistake in one-timing the puck past Pasquale to make it 1-0.

Things came undone for the IceCaps at the end of the second period after a couple of penalties put the club down two men. First, it was Bracken Kearns deflecting a Denny Urban one-timer from the point to put Worcester up 2-0 with just 57 seconds left in the frame.

Then, just 30 seconds later on a five-on-four, John McCarthy picked the loose puck out of a scrum in front and went to the backhand to lift the puck over Pasquale’s left shoulder for a 3-0 lead heading into the third period.

In the third, John McCarthy added his second of the game on a nice deflection to make it 4-0 and put the game out of reach, but not before more fisticuffs between the two teams. Patrice Cormier and Curt Gogol traded punches at 6:38 of the third, with Cormier landing a pair of heavy blows to come away with the decision.

Just after the McCarthy goal at 11:08, Sawada fought for the second time in the game, this time taking on Nick Petrecki.

For the game, the IceCaps went 0-for-5 on the power play while Worcester went 2-for-4. The two teams hook up one final time on March 30 at the DCU Center in Worcester.

The IceCaps conclude their six-game home stand this weekend when they welcome the Connecticut Whale Saturday and Sunday at Mile One Centre. Catch all the action with broadcaster Brian Rogers at and on 930 AM This Is Newfoundland Labrador.

St. John’s set new franchise records for most penalty minutes in a game (55), most penalty minutes by an opponent in a game (70), and most combined penalty minutes in a game (125)… The IceCaps have been shut out seven times this season… St. John’s falls to 9-13-1-1 at home this season and 1-7-0-0 in Wednesday games… The IceCaps have sold out 62 consecutive games at Mile One Centre.

Photos (Jeff Parsons)

  • img_1094
  • img_1095
  • img_1109
  • img_1165
  • img_1222
  • img_1281
  • img_1283
  • img_1353
  • img_1433
  • img_1518
  • img_1553
  • img_1602
  • img_1603
  • img_1623
  • img_1740
  • img_1769
  • img_1810
  • img_1828
  • img_1871
  • img_1888
  • img_1955
  • img_1984

Facebook Add a Comment