advertisement advertisement
St. John's IceCaps Powered By Rogers
Check out the St. John's IceCaps' YouTube Channel Stay up to date with the St. John's IceCaps via RSS Like the St. John's IceCaps on Facebook follow us:

IceCaps squeak past Sound Tigers Posted by IceCaps on

By Chris Doyle
Communications Coordinator

They needed more than 60 minutes, but the St. John’s IceCaps got the job done.

Jason DeSantis had a goal and an assist in a first star performance and Eddie Pasquale made 29 saves as the IceCaps snapped the Bridgeport Sound Tigers’ eight-game winning streak with a 4-3 shootout victory Wednesday night at Webster Bank Arena. The shootout marked the fourth time in the past five games that the IceCaps and their opponent couldn’t decide a winner in regulation time.

Paul Postma and Shawn Weller also scored for St. John’s (25-11-5-1), which tallied three goals on the power play in the contest.

Bridgeport started things off with a power play goal at 10:46 of the first period. Rookie Casey Cizikas, named as a replacement for the Eastern Conference All-Star team on Tuesday, centered the puck off IceCaps’ defenceman Paul Postma’s skate and into the back of the net.

The IceCaps tied it late in the frame on a power play of their own, when Jason DeSantis’ shot from the point was redirected by Shawn Weller for his seventh goal of the season.

St. John’s took a 2-1 lead at 2:44 of the second period with yet another power play goal. DeSantis picked up his seventh goal of the season – and second point of the night – one-timing a pass and blowing a shot past Sound Tigers goaltender Kevin Poulin.

The IceCaps pulled ahead 3-1 early in the third as the power play struck for the third time in the game. Paul Postma wound up and rifled a shot past Poulin for his seventh of the season, just 1:59 into the final frame.

The lead did not last long, as the Sound Tigers pulled to within one just minutes later when Matt Donovan snapped a shot that beat Pasquale high to the blocker side. Then, at 11:44, Cizikas completed the comeback for Bridgeport after burying a loose puck in the slot, tying the score at three and forcing overtime, the IceCaps fourth game in the last five that needed extra time to decide a winner.

With overtime solving nothing, the teams headed to a shootout. Ben Maxwell scored on the IceCaps’ first attempt, and Carl Klingberg potted the winner several attempts later to give St. John’s its third shootout victory in four chances this season.

The win came at a price for St. John’s, however. DeSantis and fellow defenceman Derek Meech both left the game and did not return. Meech was hit early in the game and hobbled off, while DeSantis was hit from behind late in the second and stayed down for several moments before skating off on his own steam. The status of both players for this weekend’s pair of games is unknown.

Next up for the IceCaps is a trip to Manchester to face the second place Monarchs Friday night, followed by a rematch with the Portland Pirates Saturday night at the Cumberland County Civic Center.

Catch all the action with Brian Rogers at and on 930AM This Is Newfoundland Labrador. Pregame show begins at 8:00 p.m. with the drop of the puck scheduled for 8:30 (all times Newfoundland).

Facebook Add a Comment