advertisement advertisement
St. John's IceCaps Powered By Rogers
Check out the St. John's IceCaps' YouTube Channel Stay up to date with the St. John's IceCaps via RSS Like the St. John's IceCaps on Facebook follow us:

IceCaps slip past Falcons in OT Posted by IceCaps on

Game Summary | Box Score

Photo: Liam Edson

Telegin notches game-winner in extra frame to snap five-game skid

Ivan Telegin scored the game-winner in overtime as the St. John’s IceCaps defeated the Springfield Falcons 3-2 Saturday night at MassMutual Center in Springfield, MA.

Telegin took a nice pass from Ben Chiarot and converted past Falcons goaltender Allen York for the decisive marker just 56 seconds into the extra frame to snap the IceCaps’ five-game losing streak.

Spencer Machacek notched a goal and an assist for St. John’s while Eddie Pasquale stopped 21-of-23 shots for his seventh win of the season.

Springfield got on the board midway through the first period on a goal by Sean Collins. Michael Chaput’s shot was redirected in front by Collins in front and underneath Pasquale. After a brief review to determine whether or not Collins made contact with a high-stick, the goal was deemed good, giving the home side a 1-0 advantage.

St. John’s evened things up late in the period on a power play on Machacek’s fifth. Machacek grabbed a loose puck in the slot after a mad scramble in front of the Falcons net and backhanded a shot past a sprawled York to tie it at one heading into the second period.

Ray Sawada put the IceCaps in front on another power play 5:06 into the final frame. Machacek got the puck back to Derek Meech at the point after some good work down low, and Meech fired a shot that was stopped by York. However, Sawada made a great play to sweep a backhander past the Falcons netminder and give St. John’s a 2-1 lead.

With just 27 seconds left on the clock in regulation time, the Falcons knotted the score. Following what appeared to be an offside play where the puck came out of the IceCaps zone but was not whistled down, Springfield’s Ryan Johansen pounced on a loose puck and shoveled in a backhand attempt to tie things at two and send the game to overtime.

In overtime it was Telegin providing the heroics after a beautiful setup from Chiarot, who froze the defender and slid a pass over to the Russian winger, who made no mistake.

St. John’s finished the night 2-for-6 on the power play while killing off all three shorthanded situations.

The IceCaps resume play tomorrow afternoon when they take on the Providence Bruins at Dunkin’ Donuts Center. Puck drop is scheduled for 4:30 p.m. with the pregame show getting underway at 4:00 (all times Newfoundland). Listen Live with broadcaster Brian Rogers at and on 930AM This Is Newfoundland Labrador, or watch online at

F Aaron Gagnon picked up his first point of the season with his assist in the first period. Gagnon had gone 18 games without a point to start the season… D Ben Chiarot notched his first point of the season with his assist on Ivan Telegin’s overtime winner… Forwards Ryan Schnell and Ray Kaunisto made their season debuts after being recalled from the Colorado Eagles (ECHL) Thursday. Schnell fought Dalton Prout in the first period in a spirited tilt.

Facebook Add a Comment