advertisement advertisement
St. John's IceCaps Powered By Rogers
Check out the St. John's IceCaps' YouTube Channel Stay up to date with the St. John's IceCaps via RSS Like the St. John's IceCaps on Facebook follow us:

IceCaps fall to Senators Posted by IceCaps on

Photos courtesy JustSports Photography


Team enters busiest month of season with 5-1 loss in Binghamton

By Don Power
Director of Communications

One day after the National Hockey League trade deadline left the first-place St. John’s IceCaps intact, the team played poorly in a 5-1 drubbing at the hands of the lowly Binghamton Senators Tuesday night.

The game started out the wrong way for St. John’s, as Mike Hoffman got the Senators on the board early. Hoffman scored on the first shot on IceCaps goalie Eddie Pasquale, just 36 seconds into the first period.

St. John’s rebounded however and tied the score at one on a Kenndal McArdle goal. The Toronto native wired a shot high over newly-acquired Senator Ben Bishop in the Binghamton net to bring the IceCaps back to even at 10:46 of the opening period. St. John’s actually out played Binghamton in the opening frame, outshooting the home team 18-9.

The game went downhill for the IceCaps after the first period though. The second period was one of St. John’s worst in recent memory. The Senators outshot St. John’s 19-11 as the visitors turned the puck over on numerous occasions. However, Pasquale was the difference, and managed to get the IceCaps out of the second period down just 2-1, as Hoffman scored his second of the night, on a power play.

The story of the night, however, was the goalie in the other net. Big Ben Bishop – all six-foot-seven of him – was good in the Senators net and finished the night with 41 saves and a first-star performance. Bishop was just traded to the Senators after spending most of the season with the Peoria Rivermen, where he racked up MVP-style numbers.

The third period was all Binghamton, as the last team in the Eastern Conference scored three times to salt away the game. Corey Locke scooped up a loose puck after Pasquale made the original save and deposited it into the open net for a 3-1 Bingo lead 3:38 into the frame.

Ten minutes later, Pat Cannone scored Binghamton’s second power play goal of the night, making the score 4-1.

The IceCaps woes continued with the man advantage. St. John’s actually had a 5-on-3 in the third but failed to capitalize. In fact, the club went 0-7 on the power play, while surrendering two PP goals to the Sens.

St. John’s leaves February second in the Eastern Conference, two points behind the Norfolk Admirals, and enters their busiest month of the season. While the team is off until Saturday, March 3 in Syracuse, that game against the Crunch will be the first of 15 in 31 days, nine of them on the road.

Catch all the action with play-by-play broadcaster Brian Rogers at or on 930AM This Is Newfoundland Labrador.

Facebook Add a Comment