advertisement advertisement
St. John's IceCaps Powered By Rogers
Check out the St. John's IceCaps' YouTube Channel Stay up to date with the St. John's IceCaps via RSS Like the St. John's IceCaps on Facebook follow us:

IceCaps down Whale Posted by IceCaps on

Four-goal third period leads St. John’s to win

The St. John’s IceCaps scored four third-period goals to beat the Connecticut Whale 6-3 in American Hockey League action Friday night in Hartford.

Spencer Machacek, Eric O’Dell and a pair by defenceman Arturs Kulda – the final into an empty net – gave the IceCaps the come-from-behind victory.

St. John’s trailed the Whale 3-2 after 40 minutes despite outshooting Connecticut 7-6 in the frame. However, it was the final minute of play in the middle period that cost St. John’sthe lead. Connecticut received goals from Ryan Bourque and former St. John’s Maple Leaf Kris Newbury 18 seconds apart in the final minute to send the Whale to the dressing room with the lead.

John Mitchell opened scoring in the game, with an even-strength marker at 6:02 of the opening frame. St. John’s bounced back with two goals before the end of the period. Carl Klingberg scored his team-leading seventh goal of the year at 13:58 to tie the score at one. Shawn Weller deflected a Jason DeSantis shot with just 22 seconds remaining in the period with the IceCaps on the power play to give St. John’s the lead heading to the dressing room.

After the two Connecticut second-period goals, it was all IceCaps.

Machacek’s marker at 6:02 from captain Jason Jaffray and Riley Holzapfel tied it at three. O’Dell’s first AHL goal at 9:40 turned into the eventual game winner. The Ottawa native had a goal called back earlier in the game when the referee determined there was incidental contact with Whale goalie Chad Johnson.

Less than 40 seconds later, Arturs Kulda’s first of the night put St. John’s ahead by two goals. An empty netter by Kulda sealed the deal, making the final score 6-3.

Eddie Pasquale continued to impress between the pipes. The Torontonative improved to 3-0 on the season, stopping 16 of 19 shots fired his way.

Friday’s contest was the first of three games in as many days for St. John’s. Saturday night the IceCaps are in Worcester for a rematch with the Sharks. Sunday afternoon, the club travels to Bridgeport for a game against the Sound Tigers.

These three games mark the end of a six-game road trip for Keith McCambridge’s crew.

The team plays again at Mile One Centre next Saturday and Sunday against the Connecticut Whale.

Catch all the remaining road action on 930 AM This is Newfoundland Labrador or online at Brian Rogers has the call of the game, including the pre-game show 30 minutes prior to puck drop.

Game Photos

  • 1f7x0773
  • 1f7x0814

Facebook Add a Comment